Friday, September 13, 2013

Week 2!

We are officially on the second half of our trip! We arrived in Guangzhou tonight and oh boy is it muggy here!!! Wow. I think this will be my fall back if I am EVER tempted to move to the south. ;) I think I will be borrowing a stroller for the rest of the week. Being all copied up to Miss Naomi in the sweltering heat does not sound so fabulous.

We were told that the garden hotel would be the nicest hotel we would ever stay at and this does not even prepare you!! We pulled in and Eman told me he needed to go buy a couple button up shirts to wear through the lobby. It is insanely fancy! I would like to take the suite layout back home to use for my master bedroom suite - just a quick remodel, right?! ;)

From what we have seen so far, in the dark, this city is much more fancy than Xian. Eman compared the two as of Xian is Spokane and GZ is LA. While heading here, a bright red Ferrari past us..! I am a small town girl - is it totally obvious? Lol

This week has been a huge learning process. We are slowly learning about who Naomi XinYu is and probably will be doing that for a long time. But, here is what we know so far. She is so stinkin cute, not many can resist her. She is quite reserved in public and/or new environments. When she is comfortable, she will talk and giggle. Her language is not really Chinese. She does have a few Chinese words that our guide was able to translate for us, but a lot of it is gibberish. I don't know if it is her own language or maybe one that was understood by other kids in the orphanage too?

She is smarter than I think we have discovered yet. She likes to play the helpless card and have us feed her and help her drink - she is fully capable of doing both. We are really trying not to play into that, especially with drinking from her cup. She does not know how to use a spoon, although she will try (ie play with it). And, all of these things and everything else, is all on her terms. We are also trying to not allow her to be the boss in all situations. She needs to know that eman and I are in charge and we will take care of her - she is no longer the boss, she is the child.

She is a typical 2 year old and LOVES to push boundaries especially when she is feeling naughty. We have had a few "mommy really is telling you no and she really does mean it" instances. For instance, tonight on the airplane when she kept trying to unbuckle her seat belt while we were landing. Uh, no, child. You have to stay seated and buckled for this part.

She is in the clingy suction cup stage where she only wants to be with me. Oh boy, this is hard. I am the one that pushes away when someone becomes to clingy or needy. Thank goodness The Lord has given me a true love for this little cling-on and I understand that she is still figuring out what is going on. Eman and I have been trading carrying duties more and making her sit with daddy for a while after she stops crying. Then she can come sit with me. But, usually, she remembers that she DOES actually like her daddy and doesn't feel the need to come back to me to feel safe.

She is super wobbly and startles very easily. The startle has gotten better, but her wobble will be there until she gets stronger all around. She can sit up well unsupported, but likes to lean back. She is supposed to be able to crawl, but we haven't seen that yet. I think that falls into the I don't want to category, so I won't. She can not stand on her own or walk. She can walk along things for a few steps before she gets tired. We are trying to encourage more moving to get those legs stronger.

I know there's more, but it is almost 11 and I'm tired. Tomorrow we take Naomi to see the embassy Dr to have a medical exam done. They will test her for TB among other things. Tuesday is our consulate appt and that's all I know for now of the weeks plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment