Thursday, July 26, 2012

a new school year is almost here!

July is almost over and I am getting myself organized and geared up to start our new school year!  I am currently printing out some calender pages for the boys to do daily math skills.  I know that they will be annoyed some days to do this, but unfortunately, school is not always fun.  John will be starting 2nd grade stuff and Jake will be starting kinder!  Eek!  It is bitter sweet to think my baby is going to be in school!  Granted, they will both still be at home since we school here, but still!  My plan is to do unit type studies where they will both be learning the same thing, together.  We are using Apologia Astronomy for science, The story of the World, Ancient Times for history, Time for Reading/Spelling for English (these will be skill level appropriate), Math U See for math (again, skill level appropriate) and for art. we are going to be learning about 8 different artists from a cool curriculum written by the author of Confessions of a Homeschooler.  I follow her blog, if you want to check her out.  Also, the calendar stuff was printed from the aussie homeschool blog that I follow as well.

I am so thankful that the Lord creates an excitement in my heart to school my boys!  I love getting different ideas and collaborating with other moms to make things fun for the kids.  It is so good to have the encouragement from each other.  There are a few families that will be doing the Astronomy curriculum and I am excited to do group projects.  We participated with 3 other families last year to do Geography and the boys LOVED it!  Any excuse to get together and play, right?!

The Lord has been working on my heart telling me to get more focused on teaching the Bible to my boys.  I know I blogged about this a while back, but have to confess that I have been ignoring the Lord..  He again convicted me last night about getting the boys into the Bible and then convicted me about not obeying the first time.  Please forgive me Lord!  Change my heart and move my focus back onto You and Your plan for my life and my family.

I felt like the best place to start was with the ten commandments.  As I was going through my school stuff, I found that I had already printed out the 10 commandments and am all ready to go!  Now, I just need to pull it out, read the story to the boys and GET ON IT!!!  Amazingly, I dont know that I could list all 10 and definitely not in order..  So, this will be a lesson for me - arent they all, though?  We think we are teaching our kids, but the Lord is faithful to teach us at the same time. 

On that note, I have hungry kids...

No comments:

Post a Comment