Thursday, July 12, 2012

having purpose

On Wednesday, I had a conversation with my bff about homeschooling and using ALE programs through the public school.  She shared a DVD called the Trojan Horse with me.  The show is also about ALE programs and the potential problems they pose for our ability to continue homeschooling our children.  It also talked about other things, but you will need to watch the movie.  Our conversation along with the DVD made me start thinking about how I am schooling my children.  (Of course, every family needs to decide what is right for their own children so please dont take this as a "you should be doing this...")  Really, it has made me think about how intentional I have been with things, especially when it comes to teaching my boys about the Lord.  I freely talk to them about Jesus, especially when there are behaviors that need to be corrected.  Last year we had some curriculum that was a Christian based curriculum that provided verses and opportunities to pray for other countries as we learned about them.  I did not take advantage of that part.  The only reason I can come up with is laziness.  But, the Lord is convicting me on that.  I need to be teaching my boys with a purpose that is more than just education.  I want to have "well rounded" children and that includes them loving and knowing the Lord.

Later, when Eman came home, we talked a little bit about the DVD but really didnt get into a deep conversation about what I felt like the Lord was telling me.  But, he did put a cartoon on FB about the gov't having their fingers in the public school system that has some issues and trying to control homeschooling situations - much like the program I am participating in!  What are you trying to get me to do, Lord?!

I participate in this ALE program mainly for the money I get to use to purchase curriculum.  The classes/workshops they offer are a added bonus that allow my boys to be around other kids and to be taught by another teacher.  The classes John has taken have been educational, but also fun, play type classes that match up to the style we do school in.  His teachers have been men and women that also love the Lord and are excited to teach these kids.  If given the freedom, I think they would be excited to include the Lord in their conversations with the students.  However, since they are employed by the public school...  One of the women interviewed on the DVD talked about this - if we want to teach our children that the Lord is in EVERYTHING, then we shouldnt be compartmentalizing Him by only talking about Him outside of school.  We were created by God - this includes our ability to learn and, I think, we should be recognizing that/Him while we learn.

Last night, Eman had gone to get ready for bed and then wandered back out to talk to me some more.  He told me that he wants to be more intentional with our time while we are together as a family at home.  We need to be teaching more time management, care/pride in our things in order to be showing our thankfulness for what the Lord has blessed us with.  When we are sloppy with our things and time, we are not showing respect or thankfulness to His blessings.  (Oh man.  This makes me realize that the book I am reading, one thousand gifts, is talking about this too.  We need to be intentional about offering our thanks to the Lord in hard times as well as good times.  I guess the Lord is trying to tell me something!)

I had intended that today we were going to start having purpose in our day.  I had an idea in my head that we would do some school out of our summer workbooks as well as reading the story of Moses leading up to the ten commandments.  Then, we would begin learning/memorizing them.  Well, the road has been paved with good intentions, unfortunately.  We did have purpose today, just not what I had intended.  The boys worked hard with me to get the house cleaned up, but we didnt make it to the Bible story.  The day is not over, though. 

The boys are laying down and resting now (such a glorious time of day!).  Once they are up, we can start fresh on that plan. 

In my daily scripture reading there were several verses that really spoke to me:

2 Chronicles 19: 3-7 - Nevertheless good things are found in you, in that you have removed the wooden images from the land, and have prepared your heart to seek God.  So Jehoshaphat dwelt in Jerusalem; and he went out again among the people from Beersheba to the mountains of Ephraim, and brought them back to the Lord God of their fathers.  Then he set judges in the land throughout all the fortified cities of Judah, city by city, and said to the judges, "Take heed to what you are doing, for you do not judge for man but for the Lord, who is with you in the judgement.  Now therefore, let the fear of the Lord be upon you; take care and do it, for there is no iniquity with the Lord our God, no partiality, nor taking of bribes."
vs 9 And he commanded them, saying, "Thus you shall act in the fear of the Lord, faithfully and with a loyal heart.."
vs 11 "..Behave courageously, and the Lord will be with the good."
Jeremiah 23:1-4 - "Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of My pasture!" says the Lord.  Therefore thus says the Lord God of Israel against the shepherds who feed my people: "You have scattered My flock, driven them away and not attended to them.  Behold, I will attend to you for the evil of your doings," says the Lord.  "But I will gather the remnant of My flock out of all countries where I have driven them, and bring them back to their folds; and they shall be fruitful and increase.  I will set up shepherds over them who will feed them; and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, nor shall they be lacking," says the Lord.
Acts 11:24 - For he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith.  And a great many people were added to the Lord.

All of these things together point me to the last verse.  Acts 11:24 is my prayer of who my boys will be.  I feel like the Lord is telling me that if I my purpose in schooling my children is only educational, then they will not be Acts 11:24 boys/men.  I need my schooling to have the purpose of teaching them who the Lord is and aiming them in the direction of this description.  I know, ultimately it will be my boys choice whether they become men full of the HS and of faith, BUT I want to do everything I can to get them to that point.  If I am not feeding them properly, then they will be weak and not strong.  I want them (me) to have all wooden idols removed from their (my) hearts so it will be prepared to seek God.  I want the fear of the Lord to fill our lives so there will be no iniquity found - I want no partiality in my life as well as my boys lives.

Such a heavy burden, but if I am trusting the Lord and thanking Him for the responsibility, than my burden will be light.

Psm 55:22 - Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.
Matt 11:28-30 - Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

1 comment:

  1. So be it...AMEN!!! We've recently gone through something similar to :).

    ReplyDelete