Friday, July 27, 2012

Jacob's 5th birthday weekend



We had lots of fun last weekend to celebrate Jacob.  His birthday was on Friday, July 20, but we started out the festivities on Thursday night.  We planned to go swimming first at our favorite pool, but a lightening storm changed that plan.  Instead, we went to Dairy Queen for some french fries and ice cream instead.  Jacob stuck his fries into his cone and sang himself happy birthday.  He was loving every second of the attention!  Before we left, he asked me to tell him to close his eyes when we got to DQ so it could be a surprise - little does he know...!

Friday (his birthday) we went to a our friend's house.  The original plan was to meet at McD's for lunch and playground time, but there has been hand, foot, mouth going around, so we got lunch to go, picked up some cupcakes and party at their house instead.  Mama and daughter strung some crepe paper and put some star wars decor out.  We sang happy birthday two more times.  Again, he was loving all the attention.  When we got home, Jacob started to complain about not having a birthday party - what did we just do, child?!


I had planned a little surprise party for mister Jacob.  John and I went ahead to meet the friends while Jake was blindfolded and rode with Daddy.  The boys hid in anticipation of yelling SURPRISE! 

We took the boys to see the movie Brave.  I brought candy in my bag, like a good mama, bought everyone a big bucket of popcorn and lemonade to share.  Because the kook in CO decided to go on a shooting rampage, the cute (maybe) 16 yo movie attendant had to look into my purse to make sure I wasnt carrying in a gun.  However, she failed to notice the candy or the other thing I had in there...  Maybe she just wasnt sure what to do so decided to do nothing.  (Made me feel very reassured. Lol)  ANYHOW..!  The boys all loved the movie, except for the scary part close to the end.  Jacob started crying and buried his face in my chest.  I convinced him to look right at the part that made the scary part worth it.  He recovered and decided that he really did like the movie just not the scary part.


We did some good swimming Sunday (skipped church because of the aforementioned yucky germs) at our favorite pool.  John jumped off the diving board AND went down the slide for the first time.  He was so brave!  And, now he cannot get enough of the diving board.  ;)  Later our friends came over for marshmallows.  A good, stiff wind came up, out of nowhere (normal for TC) and made the whole fire thing difficult.  Daddy used his ingenuity and built a brick cage for the fire.  It was a little tricky to roast our marshmallows, but we made it work!
Two of the cute kids are missing - busy eating s'mores maybe?  It was a pretty fabulous weekend, I must say.  I think I like this kind of focus on the kid more than the crazy birthday parties.  It was fun to celebrate with lots of fun family stuff, with some friends thrown in for kicks.  I think Jacob had a lot of fun too...

We will do it all over again in a month for the bigger boy!  I cant wait...  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment