Thursday, October 11, 2012

Colossians 1:13-14

For He has rescued us 
from the dominion of darkness 
and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves,
 in whom we have redemption, 
the forgiveness of sins.

This was the verse that came today in my daily Bible email and it is totally appropriate as we get close to Halloween.  Here is the commentary that came with:

Notice the term 'rescued'.  This implies that we couldn't get ourselves out of our predicament.  I n other words, we didn't find God - God found us!  His forgiveness of sin was never based upon our ability to get our act together.  Our redemption was paid for at the cross, and we should never forget that we have been pulled out of darkness by God's mercy in Jesus Christ.

I just love this.  I am so thankful for the regular reminders that I am not capable of doing any of this "saving" on my own.  The only way I can "save" myself is by saying YES! and allowing Jesus into my heart, by saying YES! to His desires for my life.  How easy is that?!  Ok, not always so easy because I am a stinky fleshy person.

This verse is also timely in another way.  Yesterday I received a short video clip of a little girl in China.  She is laying in her bed, trying to eat a candy that is still wrapped in plastic.  Her bed is a narrow crib - just wider than her small body.  There is a mattress in the crib, which is a step up from a lot of other beds, but no sheets or blankets to keep her cozy.  She appears to be well taken care of, and I am so thankful for that.  But, I am still a little sad for her.  I am really sad, heart broken and burdened for the kids that sleep on a hard bed, whether there is a crib around them or just on the floor.  I think about how well cared for my children are and how fortunate the kids in the USA are.  There is someplace for them all to go (even if they choose not to go).  There are opportunities for our kids to get food, free schooling, cloths and so much more. 

While I know the kids here in the US need families just as desperately as the kids around the world, I am just not as burdened for them.  My heart aches for the kids in countries that are so poor that they have no chance at providing a fraction of what we, in the US, can provide for our kids. 

I was talking with my friend after watching the video clip and we were talking about this little girl's bed.  She told me about how many children in China sleep on a bamboo mat inside their hard crib, again with no blankets.  I didnt know this, but was not surprised by it.  This piece of information made me realize that I had been turning a blind eye to this.  The Lord is slowly peeling back my onion layers, not only on my heart, but also on my eyes.

These children desperately need to be rescued out of their darkness spiritually and physically.  The Lord has burdened our hearts to bring one of these children home, now.  I pray that many more families are burdened in the same way.  I am also praying that Jesus returns soon to rescue the children that are regularly overlooked or are not available for adoption, for whatever reason.  And, if He is not coming soon, that He would visit these children and provide comfort in their very dark world.. I pray that there is just one caretaker in their building that is able to offer a comforting touch or smile.

I dont know if the Lord will ask us to bring more children home or not..  But I pray that He gives us the strength and ability to care for the children He does give us.  I pray that He continues to burden my heart to pray for these kids, to help them however we can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment