Wednesday, October 24, 2012

sweet aroma

This morning, I put on my robe before coming out of my bedroom.  It smells really nice! It hangs on the back of my bathroom door and gets misted with my perfume each time I put it on.  I love it!  I think I might hang my sweaters there instead...

My morning devotional email had this verse this am: When we heard this, we and the people there pleaded with Paul not to go up to Jerusalem.  Then Paul answered, "Why are you weeping and breaking my heart?  I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus."  When he would not be dissuaded, we gave up and said, "The Lord's will be done."  Acts 21:12-14

The commentary says this: ..Paul was so committed to Gods purposes that he was ready to die for the cause of Christ. ..We may not be called to go somewhere to die, but are we living in the dynamics of the Holy Spirit, or have we allowed comfort to lull us into spiritual boredom?

This verse and commentary made me realize that 1. I am no Paul.  2. I have definitely have been lulled into my comfort for a long while.  Although, God has been prying and pulling me out of that spot with this adoption process.

My Utmost used this verse today: "Thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ..."  2 Cor 2:14

Oswald talks about having the proper perspective and that is to maintain the fact that we are here for just one purpose - to be captives marching in the procession of Christ's triumphs.  We need to be more like Paul, really, willing to go to Jerusalem (or where ever) even with the threat of death ahead.  We are not to talk about being victorious, but instead, giving glory and belonging to the Victor - It is always HIS victory.  He references Romans 8:37 - we are more than conquerors through Him..."

Oswald finishes with this: We are encompassed with the sweet aroma of Jesus and wherever we go we are a wonderful refreshment to God.

2 Cor 2:14-16 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.  For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.  To the one we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the other the aroma of life leading to life..

Lord Jesus, surround me with the sweet aroma of Jesus - let me be a wonderful refreshment to the Heavenly Father!  Show me how to teach my children to be the same.  Give me the strength and knowledge to be aroma of life leading to life for the people that surround me.

No comments:

Post a Comment